2015: What A Year!
It’s getting close to the end of the year, and with work finally done on Fourth World, I’m getting ready to start some new projects – but I’m also in that between-projects/hey-it’s-December mode where you look back and reflect. 2015 has been quite a year for me! My new year’s resolution this year was to really buckle down and make a go of this Author Thing, and I’m really happy to say that (for the first time ever), I made my goals a reality. And that’s a great feeling! So here’s a recap of my year.
- I edited an anthology on my own and somehow managed not to die in the process! Perchance to Dream released in June and I couldn’t be happier with the wonderful stories everyone contributed. It’s a great book and it was such an honor to work with so many amazing authors.
- I started a blog, The Pack of Aces, with four other authors: Lauren Jankowski, Claudie Arseneault, Darcie Little Badger and Joel Cornah. It’s been a lot of fun, and I’m so happy that I’ve made these amazing friends.
- I wrote a handful of short stories, and a few of them even got published! In October, my story “Seven Years Among Dragons” was published in the Wings of Renewal anthology. That story is still my favorite thing that I’ve ever written, so I’m thrilled that it was able to find such a wonderful home.
- I finished my first novel, Fourth World, and it’s releasing in just a week and a half! That’s something that at times (a lot of times) felt like it was going to be completely impossible. I’m so thrilled that it’s done, so happy with how it turned out, and so excited to get the rest of the series out there, too!
Which brings me to the second part of my post: plans for 2016! It’s shaping up to be an even more busy year than 2015 was. Here’s what’s in the works for now:
- Different Worlds: An Iamos Novella – slated for release in summer 2016, this novella takes place between Books One and Two of the Iamos Trilogy and explains what happened on Mars during the time that Isaak was on Iamos. Though it’s scheduled for release before Book Two and is a bit of a 1.5, it’s not necessary to read it before you read Book Two if you’d like to be surprised. But if you’re a fan of Henry, this will definitely be the book for you!
- New World: Book Two of the Iamos Trilogy – this one is scheduled for release in fall 2016, a few months after Different Worlds, and picks up right where Fourth World left off. I’ll be releasing the synopsis soon, and it will be going to newsletter subscribers first – so if you want to know more, you might want to sign up now!
- Circuits & Slippers: A Sci-Fi Fairytale Anthology – it’s true, I’m editing another anthology! I’m not going alone this time, though: Jaylee James, editor-in-chief of Vitality magazine, is co-editing the project with me. Submissions are open now through April 8, and the book is scheduled for publication in September 2016. You can learn more about the anthology and how to submit here!
2016 is going to be pretty intense, so I hope I’m up to the challenge. Thanks to all of you for your amazing support this year, and here’s hoping 2016 will be a good one!